Curiouser and Curiouser...

My Adventures in blogging, digital and Public History

Monday, October 02, 2006

del.icio.us Inventions!

When I first started the week three lab exercise I was excited to look at these various social tagging sites with very cool names. I love the name del.icio.us ; I think of good food and great wine. In saying this however, I was a little intimidated - I am a relative newbie to all of this and I thought that the information might be a tad overwhelming. Rather than sign up right away for a del.icio.us account, I spent some time cruising through del.icio.us , Flickr and Technorati. Based on their promises, I thought that one or all three of these might just be helpful in organizing the research for our Archives and Public History classes.

del.icio.us will allow me to post and view favourites, bundle tags into categories and have entries posted to a blog containing the latest del.icio.us links. The idea that I could access the links from any computer, which I didn’t realize before, was a revelation. I think this will definitely come in handy when the class is trying to collaborate on our Museum London project or any other group initiatives.

Since I use Firefox as my browser I had to install the buttons and do a bunch of clicking and agreeing, which I am never comfortable with. I always think I will end up doing something that will make the computer crash - so far so good though!

When I was reading the help section in del.icio.us I was really thankful to read the line “if you don't get it right away, that's OK -- you don't have to. Tagging is pretty intuitive and can take some practice to fully understand.”(http://del.icio.us/help/tags) Hurray! The people at del.icio.us had seen me coming!

I actually chose to search for and tag some items that we might be using in our Museum London exhibit. The sites include a variety of images and information but I thought it might be a good place to start and I can share it with everyone in 500F! Check it out! http://del.icio.us/klewis3
My tags are a combination of names, usually the inventors and/or the name of the object, and the function of the object.

I have decided that I love del.icio.us and not just its name. It was really easy to bookmark and tag items and it will help keep me organized; Anything that can do that is worth its weight in gold!

In the next week or so I will spend some time on Flickr and Technorati in order to see what they have to offer.

** Hey, there is even a del.icio.us party in October! I wonder if they serve virtual food and virtual wine?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home